Monday, June 29, 2009

Junk of the Week #6



Two Record Frames - $2.00
Doors Albums - $.25 each
-L.A. Woman
-Greatest Hits
-The Soft Parade
Big Green Photo Album - $1.00
Tall Photo Album - $3.00
Queen Size Flannel Throw - $3.00
Mouse Christmas Tree Ornament - From my uncle
Phillips Seafood Restaurant Pilsner Glass - $.25
Fish Food - $1.00
St. Ives Body Wash - $2.00
"The Dead Zone" hardcover by Stephen King - $3.00
Books - $1.00 each
-Calvin & Hobbes: Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons
-"Dreamcatcher" hardcover by Stephen King
-"Thinner" hardcover by Stephen King as Richard Bachman
-"Gerald's Game" hardcover by Stephen King
Books from eBay - $24.00 Stephen King Hardcover Lot
-"On Writing"
-"Skeleton Crew"
-"Firestarter"
-"Lisey's Story" (Gift Box Edition)
-"Cujo"
-"Blaze"
-"The Shining"
-"Night Shift"


No 'Find of the Week' this edition, because I'm just so pleased with the complete haul. I spent a little more money, what with the eBay lot, than usual, but whatever. It's not like I'm spending money on much of anything else right now.

That's a nice lot I got from eBay, too. I didn't want to eBay for my Stephen King books, what with the high price of shipping, even using media mail, but there are some I just can NOT find, and these were in such good condition (most pretty much like new) at such a reasonable price. I already have "Blaze" (which I actually liked quite a bit) and "Skeleton Crew" so the extra copies will go in my yard sale box or else I'll trade them in for credit at the used book shop. I also had "Firestarter" already, but mine is the smaller 'book club' edition. I'm so happy to finally have a hardcover "Night Shift" with a dust jacket. And this is my first copy of ANY edition of "Cujo" which is the only one of Mr. King's novels I'm aware of that I have never read. I've never really wanted to read it, because I know what happens in it to some extent, and I have a low tolerance for awful things (even fictional ones) happening to little kids and animals. I will probably read it eventually, by fall I would guess, because I do some day plan to write my full Stephen King review on all the books.

Saturday was a gorgeous day, though a little warmer than I usually care for, and the yard sale'ing got off to a great start, as I found "Dreamcatcher" (which I already have but was missing the dust jacket for) and "Thinner" (a used library copy but so what) at the first sale, along with the Calvin & Hobbes book, which I think is one of the very few I don't already have. The photo albums were great finds, as I have about 200 photos waiting to be put away, I just couldn't afford $10 for a brand new album. Oi. I love the flannel throw, it goes on my bed eventually, because right now all that's on there is the sheet and the comforter, there's really no middle ground. I'm using it on the couch right now, my air conditioning is awesome. And the Phillips pilsner glass is pretty neat, I've only been to the one in Ocean City, MD, but it lists all of the locations so it works out. I really like pilsner glasses.

The three Doors LP's were a quarter a piece, and they're not in great condition, but I plan to frame them up on the wall anyway. Which worked out great when I got the two album frames at the very next sale. Three would've been perfect, of course, but still cool. I love using framed records as art pieces, I have some in my bedroom already, Johnny Cash Live from Folsom Prison, Who's Next by the Who, and Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell.

Sunday morning was even nicer than Saturday, cooler too, so once more I dragged my ass out of bed and took a walk through the Park Flea Market over at Williams Grove. Such a beautiful morning. I found "The Dead Zone" for $3 right away, it's in like-new condition and is a regular edition, as the one I already have, like "Firestarter" was the smaller book club edition. I also found "Gerald's Game" (one of the few books to ever creep me out bad enough to stop reading it for a few hours) for a buck, though it's in slightly less nice condition it's still good. On my way out I passed the 'wholesaler' stands and picked up a can of fish food and a bottle of body wash for less than the store price. Add on a sausage-egg-&-cheese biscuit sandwich from Sheetz for breakfast on the way home, and it was a great morning.

So, at this point I believe there are very few of Stephen King's books I don't have at least one hardcover edition of. I still need IT, which I plan to negotiate out of my cousin sometime soon, plus four of the Dark Tower novels (I, III, IV, V). My hardcover of "Christine" is missing its dust jacket, so I'm still looking for that one. And I have no copy at all of "Cycle of the Werewolf" which I totally LOVE. I had to get it out of the library some years ago to read it, but I've never been able to find my own copy, even in the book store. It's a great illustrated paperback book (I'm not aware of there ever being a hardcover edition) that was originally meant to be a calender and was adapted into the film "Silver Bullet" which probably sucked, I only saw a few minutes of it before I changed the channel. If I haven't found my own copy by the end of the season I'll probably buy it on eBay, I guess.


Okay, that's all for the week. I doubt I'll spend this much next week, if I have anything to spend at all, but hopefully I'll still find some good stuff as I plan to spend the rest of this week making some room.

No comments: