Sunday, June 7, 2009

Junk of the Week #3













Stuffed Fox - $1.00 (but my uncle paid for it, so technically it was free)

Scale - Free
Hard Rock Cafe Button - $.10
Paperbacks:
"Living with Art" & "Les Miserables" - $.50 each
"Salems Lot" by Stephen King - $.25
"Deception Point" by Dan Brown - $.25
"Eaters of the Dead" & "The Great Train Robbery" by Michael Crichton - $.25 each
"Cat & Mouse" by James Patterson - $.25
"Last Words" by Mariah Stewart - $.25
"Charley's Web" by Joy Fielding - $.25
"Labyrinth" by Kate Mosse - $.25

**Super Awesome Find of the Week**
"Weave-World" by Clive Barker Hardcover - $.25


Okay, so this week's haul wasn't all that impressive, but it was all less than $5 so I'm happy with it. I got a new book to add to my Stephen King library (this is my third edition of SL), the art book is very nice and is apparently some sort of school book, so I should at least learn something, and the rest I just thought looked interesting enough to read. The fox I was going to buy but I thought $1 was a little much for a small stuffed animal, so my uncle bought it for me after I walked away. I need the scale, I just hope it cleans up a little, it's pretty dirty but I put stuff in the freezer without marking it so I need to know how much it weighs and I don't like weighing raw meat on my nice postal scale. The Hard Rock button is just neat. As for the hardcover "Weave-World" I plan to resell this. I haven't read it yet but I have it in paperback and don't feel the need for two copies. This one is really nice, even if I don't make the $30 it lists on eBay for, anything over a quarter is profit.

I haven't been having a whole lot of luck the last two weeks. I think it's because we keep getting stuck in these community sales that people put stuff out for every year, plus we go on the second day, and the cool stuff seems to all be sold by the time I get there. The yard sales I tend to do best at are the ones we stumble across out of town, usually put out by older people who just want to get rid of the old junk that's been cluttering up their houses for the past couple decades.

My books are starting to get a little out of control. I don't work tomorrow so I think I'm going to start sorting out what's on my shelves, in boxes in my office, and packed in the closet and see what I can get rid of. I'd like to have my own yard sale again this year so maybe I can pass some of them on. I might even get a flea market table for a week or two this summer. Hmm.

Also, an update on the copy of "The Phantom of the Opera" I bought last week that I thought might be from 1911. After doing some research I've discovered this is actually a 1925 'teleplay' edition, complete with several stills from the Lon Chaney film and two original illustrations. Copies in better condition than mine but still missing dust jackets list on collector websites for anywhere from $150 to over $200, but I doubt mine is worth quite that much. I plan to list it this summer after I have a chance to read it. If it doesn't sell, I'll just add it to my own growing library, it's a neat looking book.

So that's it for this week. Special thanks to Bobo for helping with the Junk of the Week photo up there, he's very good at pretty-ing up everything.

No comments: