Saturday, May 30, 2009

Junk of the Week #2














"Velocity" by Dean Koontz paperback - $.25
"Merrick" "Violin" by Anne Rice hardcover - $.20 each
"The Mummy..." by Anne Rice paperback - $.20
"His Dark Kiss" by Eve Silver paperback- $.20
"The Talisman" by Stephen King & Peter Straub hardcover - $.50
"Night Shift" by Stephen King hardcover - $1.00
"Bride of the Far Side" by Gary Larson - $.20
"The Phantom of the Opera" by Gaston Leroux, possibly published 1911 - $2.00
8 Pack blank audio tape, still in wrapper - $.50
**Super Awesome Find of the Week**
1959 EKCO-Flint Egg Beater, Still in Original Box - $8.00


I have in my personal collection of old timey hand-cranked egg beaters approx. 60 or so pieces. There are 54 hanging on my wall at the moment, one I managed to find with the original jar on my counter, and a few odd ones here and there since I ran out of hooks and places to put new hooks on my walls. I have never, in the eight or nine years I've been collecting beaters, come across one IN THE ORIGINAL BOX. I didn't even know they came in boxes. After looking around a little I could only find one on eBay like this, though its box is in much better condition and mine is a year older, and its priced about what I paid for mine, so figuring in the shipping and handling I didn't pay I think $8 was a good deal. I usually cap my beater spending at $5 but the box blew me away. I flipped out a little, I admit. But I'm very pleased.

Other than that, most of today's finds were all about books. The paperbacks I got for a nice price and do plan to read eventually. Also, I admit I'm still a little flushed with the ten cent copy of "The Drawing of the Three" from last week. I picked up this copy of the "The Talisman" even though I have one just like it. I've sold Stephen King books before for a small profit, I'm hoping to do it again. Even if I resell it for $1 I've made money. Also, though I have three paperback copies, this is my first hardcover edition of Mr. King's short story compilation, "Night Shift" which contains perhaps my favorite of his short works, "Strawberry Spring." I dearly wish it had a dust jacket, but oh well.

The Anne Rice novels I bought because I couldn't remember if I already had them. I have a catalog of my books in the works but I've been too lazy to finish it. It turns out that I do not have the two hardcovers, but now I have an extra copy of "The Mummy..." for my own yard sale. I bet if I actually get around to reading Ms Rice's novels I would remember better what I already have. It's just that I'm still missing a few to the various series to read them in proper order.

"The Phantom of the Opera" is an old book I plan to eventually resell, though I would like to read it first. This copy appears to have been published in 1911, which is the only year listed under the copyright. Someone wrote their name on the inside cover and dated it 1925, so it is at least 84 years old, if no 98 or so. It's not in perfect shape, but isn't in bad shape either. It kind of fascinates me really, though I'm not sure why.

The audio tapes were excellently timed, honestly, as my beloved Creative mp3 player does not seem to be long for this world. The headphone jack is shorting out, worse now than before, and is only really good for listening in the car, where the chord doesn't get moved around. I can't use my headphones in it at all anymore, and that makes me very sad. I have absolutely NOTHING to budget towards a new one, so when the headphone jack goes it becomes nothing but a storage device. So I'm going to make a whole bunch of tapes for in my car, because I simply CANNOT listen to regular radio when driving, the commercials alone make me want to ram my car into a telephone pole. I wish I had a CD player in there, but the car was free, so I guess beggars can't be choosers, right?

That's it for this week. I was going to go to flea market tomorrow but I have a feeling I'll decide to sleep in instead. I know me, I do it every Sunday.

No comments: